Friday, December 4, 2009

The Giver- and why it was banned

The Giver is refered to as the suicide book. It apparantly "portrays a Utopian society that relies on euthaniasia (painless killing) and suicide to create the perfect society." It has been challenged and banned in middle schools across America. Many disagree with these bannings. The Giver does not support suicide and euthaniasia, but is actually about how it is so terrible. "She asked for release, and they had to give it to her. I never saw her again." (pg. 143) This is a quote which backs up the people who ban the book. They believe that this is an example of suicide, when Rosemary, the previous reciever, asks for release after recieving terrible memories from the Giver. It is probably believed that she could not think of any way to release the pain that she had recieved but to have herself killed. I thought that maybe because it was not said in the book that she had learned about release then she had not known that she was going to be killed.

"Five weeks. That was all. I gave her happy memories: a ride on a merry-go-round; a kitten to play with; a picnic. Sometimes I chose one just because I knew it would make her laugh, and I so treasured the sound of that laughter in this room that had always been so silent. But she was like you, Jonas. She wanted to experience everything. She knew that it was her responsibility. And so she asked me for more difficult memories... And I didn't give her physical pain. But I gave her loneliness. And I gave her loss. I transphered a memory of a child being taken from it's parents. That was the first one. She appeared stunned at it's end... I couldn't bring myself to inflict pain on her. But I gave her anguish of many kinds. Poverty, and hunger, and terror." (pg. 142)

Yet somehow, she did know what release was, because when the Giver watched the video of her release, she asked to inject herself, which she did do. So this example really does support the banning side of the book. Rosemary DID commit suicide, but in a way of which it would not hurt her."When the Speaker notified me that Rosemary had applied for release, they turned on the tape to show me the process. There she was- my last glimpse of that beautiful child- waiting. They brought in the syringe and asked her to roll up her sleeve... And I listened as Rosemary told them that she would prefer to inject herself. Then she did so. I didn't watch. I looked away." (pg. 151)

"The Giver turned to him. " Well, there you are, Jonas. You were wondering about release," he said in a bitter voice. Jonas felt a ripping sensation inside himself, the feeling of terrible pain clawing its way forward to emerge a cry." (pg. 151) This quote shows that Jonas does not like what release has turned out to be. In the next chapter after he witnesses the young twin baby being released he becomes angry and refuses to go home or be apart of the lies anymore. This shows that the book is against the theme of suicide and euthanasia. The society may not be, but the two people in it that know better are against it. Therefore the major theme of this book is not suicide and euthanasia, but is how terrible they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment